Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easy Baby

    I've heard people say they have an easy baby, but I've come to realize that is an oxy moron.  There is nothing easy about having a baby.  Sure there are different degrees of difficulty, but it's all difficult.  It's around the clock, non-stop, and each day just rolls into the next.  That being said, Carter is definitely what you would call easy.  I'm scared to say it because I think he could change at any minute, but so far he sleeps like an angel and I've been getting plenty of sleep myself.  He follows a schedule, even when mom messes it up, or takes him out and doesn't feed him on time.  When we take him on the train or bus, he just sleeps.  He sleeps in restaurants or when company comes over.  He sleeps while daddy plays his guitar with the amp.  The only trouble is feeding time, because he just would rather sleep!  We tickle him, take his clothes off, sit him up, do bicycle legs, and even sprinkle cold water on him, but still he sleeps.  When he's finally ready to eat, he'll nurse for about 7 minutes, spit it all up, and then return to sleep.  I'd be more worried if he wasn't gaining weight, passing stool, and reaching little milestones, but he is doing all of those things.  The pediatrician said he's getting enough to eat, so I guess he's a fast eater.
    Until this week, breastfeeding was excruciating!  I wasn't prepared for that level of pain.  Everyone said it would get easier and 2 days ago it started to be much better.  Now I dare to say, it's nice and I can see how it will be good bonding time.  I'd just like a few less bonding sessions a day, because it's pretty time consuming.  Thanks to my mom for helping me to calm down and not get too upset while it was hurting so bad!  Gram stayed for 2 1/2 weeks and never left my side.  She really helped me learn how to be a good mommy.  We miss you so much!
    I love staying at home with Carter.  It's so nice having 5 months off of work.  My favorite thing to do is wake Carter up.  He's so cute when he stretches and smiles unintentionally.  He's masterful at breaking out of his blanket, when dad and I work so hard to swaddle him tightly. Just this week, he's started focusing and paying more attention to us.  I can also tell he's getting stronger, because he will hold up his head briefly and kick his legs much harder.  Since Carter spits up a lot, he gets to show off about 3-5 outfits a day.  That's a good thing because everyone gave him such cute stuff to wear.  I do laundry every morning to wash out all the poopy and spit up.  I am more productive than ever before.  Blair is on diaper and swaddle patrol.  After I feed him, he changes Carter and when he's ready to sleep daddy swaddles him up.  Daddy is quickly learning 2 things:  ALWAYS cover the wee wee and ALWAYS keep a diaper under his booty!  I'm sure you heard about Carter shooting pee straight into Blair's eye.  After 3 1/2 weeks with Carter we've already surrendered.  Our furniture will never be the same, we've already lost the war on spit up, poo, and pee!
    My recovery has been very easy and I really feel like myself again.  The first few days were tough, but after that, it was no big deal.  Strangely, I missed my belly for awhile.  It was sad not having my baby in there anymore.  Of course, it's a million times better having Carter here, to hold and play with.  I love taking walks with Carter in the carrier or our new stroller (thanks Linda!).  The weather has been so beautiful.  It's nice having a spring baby.  God has blessed us with a peaceful, sweet baby (as long as he has his pacifier) and we're so thankful.  We don't deserve Carter and we're humbled to be his parents.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Heather, such a sweet update! So happy for your new family. Can't wait to meet Carter this summer! Myra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet mommy you are. Love reading the update and love that first pic of you and him. His little face is so cute right there!! Wish I could hold that precious little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I must say that last statement is false in my eyes.. You both deserve this precious little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I feel like I was reading something I wrote, b/c we have gone through the same thoughts, feelings, and DEFINITELY experiences. I am SO happy for you! God is good! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Nursing is hard, definitely. I struggled the first 2 1/2 months, but finally it got better and we made it 13 months before Mack weaned herself. You are such a WONDERFUL mommy and I'm so thankful that you are getting to experience this wonderful journey of motherhood. Isn't it just the best EVER?! Praying for you and can't wait to see you this summer!
    Amy Bowden

    ReplyDelete