Friday, January 14, 2011

Questions for all the mommies out there???

What does it feel like right after you have the baby and you're no longer pregnant?

When in your pregnancy did you start really feeling miserable?

How can you get the baby to move down and stop kicking your ribs?

What are the best purchases for a newborn baby?

Please give any help, don't feel the need to answer all the questions. Any other advice is welcome!

Thanks!
Heather

8 comments:

  1. 1. You are e cutest pregnant person ever!!!!!
    2. Right after you have the baby your tummy is kinda flabby (and if your me....will stay that way for five years!!!), but the strange thing is I never felt weird that I wasn't pregnant anymore...maybe other people are different.
    3. With my 9 lb 13 oz chunky monkey baby, I think I started getting uncomfortable in weeks 30+
    4. my must have baby thing was a swing that swung from side to side (but try to find one with a plug but yoou will go through a lot of batteries) My girls lived in that while newborns. I just saw this cool thing called a mamaroo......I would buy that in a heartbeat....it looks incredible.
    5. All this talk makes me want a baby....uh-oh Bryan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em loved the swing too (but try to borrow one, or buy used - they outgrown them REALLY fast).

    Never felt weird not pregnant anymore - just looked it! Keep some larger sized clothes around b/c you will want to NOT wear pregnancy clothes but can't fit in old ones. (If breast feeding get shirts that button.) It took me about 1 month to fit back in reg clothes (I only gained 20lbs and she was 8.8lbs). My ankles swelled in the last month (I was 10 days late). After Em was born the skin around my ankles was flabby - really weird feeling walking! Last few weeks pregnant was hard to sleep.

    If you are breast feeding and will be pumping alot, splurge on the Medela electic breast pump. YOu can do both at the same time. (that was the primo brand 10 yrs ago).

    I might skip getting the big high chair too, and get one that fits on a regular chair. (Not 100% sure on that) When they are really little you will likely want to feed them in their baby seat (that goes into the stroller and car). But beware you will have to be good about cleaning it.

    We also bought expensive furniture (crib, dresser that turned into a changing table, glider). Other than the glider (a must with the foot stool), I would not spend that much on stuff that you might want to change later!

    I want a baby too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't feel weird after not being preggers anymore either. I think there is SO much else going on that you're not even thinking about that!! I started feeling pretty rough around 7 months--like a beached whale when I was in bed and my feet were ridonkulously swollen.

    Hmmm, best purchases...Swaddle Me wraps...and a SWING! I actually didn't purchase the swing-borrowed it. But it was a GREAT "borrow" and was a must have for us! We actually used the travel-size one that was more like a sling than a hard plastic seat. You also need a nice cozy chair to rock baby in-we're using ours even more now that we read to Nolan before bed. That'll be a good purchase that you'll use for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yeah, the little bouncy seat is a MUST! (cozy chair)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does it feel like right after you have the baby and you're no longer pregnant? I felt like they shouldn't have pulled the plug on the epidural so quickly because my bottom was so sore - I would have enjoyed some pain relief a little longer. I actually couldn't sit down comfortably for a couple weeks. Also, breast feeding was very painful, I had huge blisters on my nipples, they last a couple days, but I stuck with it and it was so worth it in the end. I've got some super healthy smart kids.

    When in your pregnancy did you start really feeling miserable? I only felt miserable in the first 12 weeks with horrible morning sickness, for the rest of my pregnancy I felt beautiful, womanly, and just like a goddess - with the occasional heartburn.

    How can you get the baby to move down and stop kicking your ribs?
    Don't know how to fix that problem. It's even worse when they are feet down and kick you in the private area. Ouch!

    What are the best purchases for a newborn baby? I loved the baby swing too, but also loved anything that would easily take me out of the house, I had every type of stroller known to woman - jogging stroller, double stroller, umbrella stroller, etc. etc.

    Please give any help, don't feel the need to answer all the questions. Any other advice is welcome! My kids are the most adventurous eaters that I know, they try everything and refuse to eat "kid" food, they never ate a Happy Meal, hot dog or chicken nugget given to them by me. I used the philosophy with them that children are ever growing and ever changing every day, and that includes their sense of taste. I always told them that each day is a new day for trying new things and if they happen to not like one food item on day, such as spinach, the next day it might be their favorite food. They loved this and were always eager to see if their taste would change from one day to the next - and usually it did, proving the theory correct. Now they will eat anything and are very adventurous. Only draw back is that they only order off the adult menus at restaurants because they like to try things that they have never tried before (which can be costly): ie. octopus, squid, frog, rabbit etc. Labeling a child as a "picky" eater only makes them one, use a different label, "adventurous", "exotic", & "fun eater"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt weird immediately after LK was born...but loved being able to sleep without getting up all night and to lay however I wanted, etc. I also rejoiced the first time I realized I could navigate stairs quickly again. Pretty awesome! I did kinda feel like something was missing for a little bit after she was born--funny!

    The end of pregnancy wasn't comfortable for me at all. Sleep was nearly impossible, and my back hurt all the time. I tried to walk like people recommended, but I was really uncomfortable. I also had Braxton-Hicks contractions ALL the time, which weren't awesome... The plus side was that people were REALLY nice to me--hard to be rude to a big pregnant lady! Enjoy it!

    I don't think there's anything you can do to stop the kicking! That's just part of it...

    Loved the swing! Could not have lived without it... I ordered a crib mobile pretty quickly and found that LK really loved it. I also loved the onesies that had mittens built in. They kept her warm and kept her from scratching her face--none of the mittens I bought stayed on her. I also liked that they had side-snaps so her little belly button wouldn't get as irritated. Gowns w/mittens were good for all that, too. (I was also surprised that we needed NB sizes for the first 7-10 days...especially since she was a big baby. We didn't need that stuff for long, but the 0-3 month clothes really swallowed her at first.) I needed a million bottles, but she was on formula from Day 1. We loved our stroller, too. She always seemed to settle down when we were outside, and she loved movement. We rocked her a ton, too--nice to have somewhere comfortable to sit when you are up during the middle of the night. Oh, and we started using Gripe Water pretty quickly b/c LK had such bad hiccups and tummy troubles, etc. We didn't have much luck with gas drops. I don't think you can use that stuff for a couple weeks, at least, and I hope you won't need any of it, but that's something we used a lot when she was really little. Oh, and definitely a good camera and a Flip video--we took tons of pictures and video, and I still spend hours looking back through them. You don't realize how fast they change until you look back. I love hearing her little newborn cries when I watch quick video clips... Oh, and keep a little journal or calendar or something by your bed to jot down little milestones. You don't think you'll ever forget, but you totally do. I'm trying to fill out her baby book now, and I have already forgotten when she smiled for the first time and rolled over, etc. I wish I'd just made a note at the time.

    I'm so excited for you!!! You're going to love being a mom and watching your little one grow. It really is amazing!

    Love you dearly!

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add that every baby really is different. Every parent loves different things during different stages. It overwhelmed me to no end, but you really do figure out quickly what works best for you!

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm overwhelmed by the great advice! Thank you so much for taking the time to help an upcoming mommy out. You guys are the BEST! I will take your suggestions very seriously. I need all the help I can get :).
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete