Tuesday, January 11, 2011

30 Weeks Update

    Yesterday I had my glucose tolerance test, because they recommend all pregnant people to take it.  I had to fast 8 hours before the appointment, which is just crazy, because pregnant people need to eat constantly.  I was feeling dizzy from not eating and scared because I had to get blood drawn twice.  I get there at 11 am and they take blood.  In my opinion, I was much better than usual.  I barely even whimpered!  Then they gave me two cups of thick, sugary water to drink.  If anyone can drink sugar, it's me, so that wasn't so bad.  Then I asked the nurse if I could eat something and she said not until 2 hours later when I take my 2nd blood test.  I was dying!  My doctor appt. was at 12:30, so I waited in the waiting room, trying to distract myself from eating.  After 1 hour, I started feeling very weird, so I looked for a nurse, but no time for that, so I ran to the bathroom.  To put it nicely, the sugary water ended up in the garbage!  Afterwards, I felt much better, but I didn't know what to do.  I went back to where they took my blood and told them.  I was hoping I didn't have to start the test over on another day.  The nurse called my doctor, Dr. Wong said I could just go have lunch and come back 2 hours later to do the 2nd blood test.  I was like "having a normal lunch is equivalent to drinking sugar water and fasting?? why didn't you tell me this in the beginning?"  I left, ate, and came back at 3:30.  I was hoping the same nurse would be there to take my blood, but she wasn't, so I told the new nurse that I was scared and she told me I could scream if I needed to.  Phew!  After just a little shriek, I was done!!  I really did face my fear and I think I'm getting braver.  Bring on the epidural!  They said they would call with the results in 1-2 days.  They called tonight and thank God that this sugar addict is gestational diabetes free!  I'm so relieved.

     Also, at my appointment the ultrasound showed that Carter is measuring just right and his head isn't so big anymore!  He's perfect and healthy.  I got to see his face from the front and I can tell he's filling out.  My next appt. is Jan. 26th!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are at 30 weeks already! Carter's going to be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! You are almost there!!! Sweet baby Carter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you guys! The epidural is not bad AT ALL... by the time you can get one, the prick of the needle going in is NOTHING comparatively! Praying for ya'll! Can't wait to meet Carter this summer! Amy Bowden

    ReplyDelete