Friday, March 23, 2012

12 months old


        Happy Birthday Carter!  It's official, my sweet baby is ONE!  I tried to take his picture each month, but missed 3 months along the way.  This has been the best year of my life.  Carter has made every moment more meaningful.  Watching him grow and learn each day has been incredible.  He literally changes every day.  This past year has flown by and I knew it would.  I've done my best to document every little thing Carter has done.  I'm just so proud to be his mommy.
        This month, he learned to walk and what a difference that makes.  Blair and I are running around like crazy to keep up with this boy.  He is really fast, but he doesn't know how to run yet.  He's pretty good at falling safely and doesn't even seem to notice.  We're having so much fun letting him walk in the malls, parks, and on the waterfront.  Everyone stops to watch because he holds his hands in the air and babbles the whole time.  Sometimes he just screams with excitement because he LOVES to walk.
        Carter knows 4 words now, daddy, dog "da", hey, and uh-oh.  He uses them in context, too.  The only thing is "daddy" applies to all humans.  If I drop something in the kitchen, then I will hear an "uh-oh" coming from the living room.  His favorite game is throwing his stuffed animals out of his crib and yelling "uh-oh" each time.  When he picks up the phone, he'll say "hey" just like I do.  Whenever he hears a dog bark, he will say "da".  One time I wasn't looking but I heard him say "da" and when I turned around, a dog was walking towards me.
        I knew it was time to get rid of the paci and I was a little nervous how he'd respond.  He only took it when we would go to sleep.  We stopped giving him the paci at bedtime first and that was not even an issue.  Next we stopped at naptime and he was totally fine.  Carter's officially off the paci!  
        He loves when I sing to him.  He will even clap and sing along.  He likes "Itsy Bitsy Spider", "I Love You Lord", "Jesus Loves Me", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Rain, Rain, Go Away", and "If Your Happy and You Know It".  He loves to watch daddy play guitar.  He likes to touch the strings and the knobs.  He loves to play hide and go seek (he will really come find you) and peek-a-boo.
        He weighs 22 lbs. and I'm not sure how long he is.  I'm a little concerned because he hasn't really gained any weight in 4 months.  I stopped nursing the day after his birthday, he didn't even miss a beat.  He loves cow's milk and adult food.  He wants to eat everything I do, but Salt and Vinegar chips just aren't a good choice for Carter!  He will beg, scream, and whine until he has something to eat, too.  Since he's so independent, he prefers feeding himself and kind of uses a spoon correctly.  Thank God for our dog being on vacuum duty.
      I love you Carter, Happy 1st Year.  What an amazing adventure!! 

Love,
Mommy and Daddy
   

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! This brings me to tears! It goes by too quickly!! His party was soooo cute!!! Can NOT wait to see you this summer!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this update, Heather. I didn't document anything...thought I'd never forget when those milestones happened, and somehow I have. On the weight gain thing, I remember Laura Kate slowing down a lot around that age. The doctor told me that they burn so many more calories when they start walking and moving more that their growth just slows. Who knows, but it made sense to me.

    Miss you so much!

    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke, that makes sense. He's super active.

      Delete