Wednesday, February 10, 2010
When should you throw out old clothes??
It's funny I often wonder about when a favorite shirt or pair of pants should be thrown out. Julia's post made me think about getting advice from you guys. I don't want to end up like those poor ladies on Oprah, that look like they came straight out of the 80's and then upon further inspection they discover their clothes are like 30 years old or more. Of course, you think "how ridiculous, that would never happen to me." Actually though, when I do the math, I start to get worried. I have a few wonderful pieces that I know I've had for 1o years, others 8 or 5 years. I have shoes that I've had for 5 years. I mean, it's not that I don't buy new stuff, it's just letting go of stuff that I still love. I will ask Blair sometimes if he thinks something looks ok and he will respond with "I don't know, don't you know? You're a girl. Your suppose to know these things." I do love getting rid of old clothes that I never wear or don't fit right. Before we came to Hong Kong, I gave away TONS of clothes. Is it possible that some pieces are timeless? :) and they deserve to be kept? I am curious about your thoughts? Do clothes have an expiration date?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Clothes DO have an expiration date! I've learned to keep jackets and handbags (most of them). Some shoes can be stored while others should just go if they clearly look too worn. All those t-shirts can be made into a quilt unless you still wear them. Things that are out of style but you love a piece of it...take for example a pair of red pants I had that had a really pretty black threaded design on the leg...those I can cut the leg design out and use it to make a pillow to decorate, or frame it for decor. Just learned about a new website momologie.com that gives good style tips too. I'm NO expert, but I've learned lots! I had stuff in there from high school that needed to GO! The pieces you just can't let go of but don't wear can still go in a memory box under the bed until you are ready to part with them :) Hope this help..and always remember that ones man's trash is another's treasure! I think that's how the saying goes...???? Miss you H!! Love yoU!
ReplyDeleteI think the answer is definitely "yes," unless your husband is like mine and would have a coronary if you threw away and then replaced everything you knew you needed to! In that case, the answer is "yes, but..."
ReplyDeleteI've wanted to purge and replace my clothes for YEARS, but I've just suffered a huge setback after having to spend untold amounts of money on MATERNITY CLOTHES! What a nightmare! It's probably worse because I have to dress up so much for work, and that's not easy or cheap when you are pregnant, but I still feel cheated! I want clothes that make me look CUTE!
What we need to do is conspire about ways to update our wardrobes AFFORDABLY. That, I might be able to swing. : )
Miss you!!!
~Brooke
I'm struggling right there with you Heather! It's amazing how quickly the years pass by and I realize that I have been wearing something since I started working 8 years ago. I think I'm close to turning into those ladies on Oprah, in fact, I'm pretty sure I spotted a TLC camera from What Not to Wear following me around the other day-ha!!! But, you always look stylish so I don't think you have anything to worry about!! :)
ReplyDeleteI think already you know which clothes have an expiration date. If you are like me, you have the clothes in your closet that you wear often, the ones that you wear occasionally, and the ones that you haven't worn in years. My philosophy is to keep those that you wear occasionally, but if you haven't worn it in a year...let it go! You probably won't wear it again if its been that long without it being missed.
ReplyDelete~Fellow Clothes Hoarder