Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Lunch at a local restaurant. As mentioned on facebook, they threw away Blair's hair gel at the airport, so he had to go spikeless.
Old City Hall
Lion Dance, to bring luck to businesses in the new year
Laughing Buddha and female Buddha
Families of 4 and 5 pile on one moped.
This is near the the Mekong River Delta
These hats were "free" from our tour guide.
Vietnam is very tropical because it's close to the equator.



Ho Chi Minh City, formerly Saigon, was absolutely crazy! The first thing that happened to us, was we got totally ripped off by a taxi driver. We'd just stepped out of the airport and needed a ride to our hotel. The money in Vietnam is very confusing, because one US dollar equals $19,000 Vietnamese dollars. So I was dealing with $500,000 bills and that taxi guy took advantage of my confusion. We basically paid US $35 too much. I was so mad!! After that debacle, things were fine. Everything there is cheap, so it made up for the loss. Blair got a "North Face" backpack for $10 and I got a fake Lonely Planet travel book for $4. I also got a mani, pedi, and 1 hour massage for $14 total. Blair had his first pedicure, because he was waiting on me and I always complain about his ogre-like toenails. The people were extremely friendly and helpful, minus the swindling taxi driver and the lady that swatted my hand at the market. There were many people struggling to make a living and that is always hard to see. We saw the War Remnants Museum, Reunification Palace, and Mekong River Delta. I learned alot about the history of Vietnam. One annoying part was the insane traffic and honking. It was their New Year, so everyone was off work and ready to celebrate. Below is a video of the mopeds at an intersection.

No comments:

Post a Comment