Even though I traded in my dance shoes for a gigantic stack of papers to grade, God has created some opportunities for me to keep dancing. Every Wednesday I teach a ballroom class to some of my fellow teachers. It's a great chance for me to brush up my skills and keep the steps fresh in my mind. The best part is that Blair acts as my assistant. He knows the basics and helps balance the boy/girl ratio. Surprisingly, he really enjoys it, especially when he gets to show the proper way to do a step.
My friend Abbie, the drama teacher, asked me to help choreograph a few numbers for the middle school production of "Thoroughly Modern Millie". I love that musical, it's all 1920's! I've been teaching the kids the routines on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have so much fun seeing it all come together. They learn really fast.
Not only that, but I take 2 hip hop classes on Tuesday evenings. My teacher has taught at the Broadway Dance Studio in New York and has performed with so many current singers. I've never liked hip hop, until now, because I don't know how to have that hip hop swagger, but I'm getting better. My teacher picks really great music, like Timberland, Lady Gaga, Nelly Furtado, and Neyo. She teaches us routines like you see on So You Think You Can Dance. Several other friends go with me and we always get an incredible work out. I use to take private ballroom lessons before my hip hop class, but now that I help with the musical, I'm taking a break. I'm just thrilled to have an outlet for dance! I didn't want to give up that part of my life, when I started teaching again. Thanks God for opening so many doors.
Good for you! I miss you, and need to keep your blog on my list too! I see you're coming home for 7 weeks. What for? Had you planned this all along? Yea!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I'm laughing at Blair as your assistant (no offense Blair!). I bet that is so funny! And fun. So glad you are getting to dance...and jealous of your hip hop class!
ReplyDeleteMiss you!!